Monday, March 5, 2012

Blue may be the colour for Rafa or Sven as duo declare interest in Chelsea job


Sign here, Rafa! Blue may be the colour for Benitez as Spaniard opens door to Chelsea


Roman Abramovich can console himself that there are at least a couple of top managers still brave enough to take the Chelsea hot seat. 
Rafa Benitez put his head above the parapet on Monday and Sven Goran Eriksson twice refused to say 'no'. 
Sign here, Rafa: Benitez expressed his interest in managing Chelsea on Monday night
Sign here, Rafa: Benitez expressed his interest in managing Chelsea on Monday
 
The Swede believes Abramovich had little choice but to sack Andre Villas-Boas as Chelsea are threatened with the unthinkable - finishing out of the top four in the Barclays Premier League. 
Eriksson, who was offered the job pre-Jose Mourinho, said: 'It is about results. Of course I am sorry for the manager but I can understand the owner and the club because next season the Champions League without Chelsea would be very, very bad for the club.
Interested: Blue may be the colour for Sven
Interested: Blue may be the colour for Sven
'I have never worked under Roman. I have met him 10, 15 times. He is nice, quiet. 
'For me, he's great. He is passionate for football. If he approached me I would be pleased but it's not going to happen.' 
Benitez shares Eriksson's enthusiasm for the vacancy. 
'I am a manager waiting for a job so I cannot stop speculation. 
'People are talking about the Chelsea job.They have Di Matteo in charge and, hopefully, he will do well. I have to respect the manager in charge. I have just to wait and see if something happens. But, as a manager with Champions League experience in England, Spain and Italy, I am open to offers.
'I don't think you need to be tough. You need to be yourself. You need to be sure you are standing in front of world-class players and are not talking s***.' 
In charge: Di Matteo and Newton will look after first-team affairs until the end of the season
In charge: Di Matteo and Newton will look after first-team affairs until the end of the season
Asked if he could imagine returning to Liverpool as Chelsea manager - the clubs had a fractious relationship when Benitez was at Anfield - the Spaniard replied: 'Nobody can argue that the Liverpool fans love me. If we agree with this, what do you want for somebody who you love? The best. I cannot be waiting at home for five years. Everybody understands I will need a job. My idea is to have the option of a top side and try to win trophies.' 
Benitez insisted Fernando Torres still had the desire to find his best form.
 


Total Pageviews